Monday, March 7, 2016

I See You Made an Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50; Annabelle Gurwitch


Actress and comedian, Annabelle Gurwitch entertains readers with a sometimes LOL collection of (16) essays which reflect on how life changes for women as they approach the big 50 milestone. The book is only 240 pages and some of the essays are only a couple of pages long, others are slightly longer.  The author maintains that the only way for women to deal with aging is to have a sense of humor.

The essays touch on a variety of aging issues: the sandwich generation, children at home and aging parents, menopause, new aches and pains, fighting the wrinkle battle, finding a new way to dress that is age appropriate and also helps to hide the midriff bulge of middle age.

The stories are personal and funny and, I suspect that most women 50+ will find some passages which will resonate with them in more ways than one.  It's a light fluffy read, that is perfect for your nightstand.  I enjoyed reading a few essays each evening before bed over the course of a couple of weeks.  Although some readers may find some of language offensive at times, overall I think that this might be just the kind of humor that works once you realize that you have no choice but to laugh about getting older.  I think this would be a fun book club discussion book especially for groups with older members. 

4/5 stars
(review copy sent by publisher)

(Here's an Intro from the first Essay) ----STAY FUNNY

"On the day I turned forty-nine the first solicitation from AARP appeared in my email in-box.  At a glance, I thought it might be an ad for white-collar prison uniforms.  A couple is pictured dressed in matching cotton pastel sweaters and pleated Dockers.  The entire outfit screams, Here, take my libido and hold it for the rest of my life, which won't last much longer anyway.  The man has his arms encircling the woman's waist.  Is he propping her up because she's suffering from osteoporosis, or helpfully disguising her muffin top?  The expressions on their faces can only be described as resigned."

11 comments:

  1. Even though I'm well over 50 & don't usually read comedy, this sounds like one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat anyone 50+ will see the humor in many of these essays.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like one of those books that's fun to dip in and out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a couple essays a day is a nice way to enjoy this one.

      Delete
  3. Mighty not be for us guys, but it did make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I remember that the author was on "Dinner & a Movie" on TBS in 90s. Good times! This book sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure I would find some funny stories I could relate to in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like fun... the cover is cute, too. I might give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a book I might get a kick out of. I'll get there all too soon. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I might need to read it to find out how those bright pink knickers fit in with the 'almost 50' lifestyle. I'm very curious....LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kind of reminds me of Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck (which I thought was quite funny), so I think I'll have to take a look at this one. I love a good book that makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.