Tuesday, October 9, 2012

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


For today's First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro, I'm featuring an intro from an eGalley I'm reading now.
 

Feel free to join in by posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few ) of a book you decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Grab the banner and play along. 


"My father was the best bartender who ever lived.  No one really questioned that in a town like Gros Ventre, glad of any honor, or out in the lonely sheep camps and bunkhouses and other parched locations Medicine country, where the Medicine Lodge saloon was viewed as a nearly holy oasis.  What else was as reliable in life as sauntering into the oldest enterprise for a hundred miles around and being met with just the right drink whisking along the polished wood of a prodigious bar, along with a greeting as dependable as the time of day?  Not even heaven promised such service. Growing up in back of the joint, as my father always called it, I could practically hear in my sleep the toasts that celebrated the Medicine Lodge as an unbeatable place and Tom Harry as perfection of a certain kind behind the bar."
 
Would you read on?
[ This is my first read by this author, and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised thus far] 

 

19 comments:

  1. The 'lonely sheep camp' and 'bunkhouses' put me off a bit but his description of the bar, that drink whisking along, that intrigued me. Onward, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a softspot in my heart for bartenders! My mom raised 3 kids as a single-mom that bartended in the 60s, now if that did not cause others to talk!!

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom sounds like a wonderful and independent woman who should be admired. The life of a bartender is not easy. You have to listen to everyones sad sob stories and it gets worst from there.

      Delete
  3. Ah, yes, I already feel right at home in that bar! Sounds wonderful.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and my daughter is a bartender (and also a hair stylist).

      Delete
  4. I like the way he holds in esteem this "joint," this "holy oasis." Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd read on, I thin the book is probably filled with interesting stories. A bar would certainly be a good place to hear stories. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have to keep reading this one to see where it goes. Those first few sentences intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read almost all of his books including some non-fiction, and I love his writing! I look forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one's new to me. I hope it continues to be a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting, hope you continue to enjoy it.

    http://talesofabookaddict.com/2012/10/09/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-3/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I most certainly would read on, sounds like a very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would definitely continue on. Sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard of this author and yes, this does sound good. Looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does sound interesting and we would read on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The minute I read the word "joint", it made me think of my uncle Jack, a really colorful character in our family. I'd read on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like that book is set out west--Wyoming, maybe? I think I remember that town from one of our epic road trips. While it doesn't seem like my cup of tea, I'm happy you're pleasantly surprised by it! Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been wanting to try this author's work!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.