Saturday, June 20, 2009

92 - The Shop on Blossom Street; Debbie Macomber


The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, No. 1), is a first in the Blossom series, and also the first book I've ever read (in this case listen to) by this author (oops --just realized I read a Christmas book of hers one years). I chose this book because I wanted sometime relaxing to listen to before bed. This one hit the spot.

Read by Linda Emond who does a great job with the four characters in this story. Four very different characters become friends while taking a knitting class at (you guessed it) The Shop on Blossom Street. For Lydia, the shop's owner, a two-time cancer survivor, the shop represents a new beginning.

The first project is : how to knit a baby blanket. The participants in the class are struggling with various personal issues: cancer, divorce, miscarriage etc, and from each other they learn how to accept life's setbacks and find happiness in their lives once again.

I was happy I tried this book. A light read, nothing too depressing or heavy, this book turned out to be a good listen well into the wee hours of the morning on some nights.

RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 6/20/09
Where From: My stacks

7 comments:

  1. I have one of the later books in the series sitting on my shelf to read--it'll be my first by the author. I'm really looking forward to reading it. Sometimes I desperately need something light, you know?

    I am glad you enjoyed the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked it - I really enjoyed reading that one last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this series. It's one of my favorites. I find now it's like visiting old friends. Very warm and inviting books I think. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book as well. It's nice to have a light read every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover of this book does indeed make me believe that this is a quiet and relaxed book. I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the novel sitting on my shelf at this very moment! I went on a big kick where I was reading the first book in a variety of series... so I grabbed this one and then forgot about it :( I'm glad you reminded me -- I'm going to check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite "light" series. If you liked this one, might I recommend Robyn Carr? She reminds me of Macomber..only I think I like Robyn Carr a bit better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.