Tuesday, June 16, 2009

89 - Beach Chair Diaries; Janet E Spurr

I came across the Beach Chair Diaries, by Janet E. Spurr while browsing on Amazon. As a life long beach lover, I thought this might be the perfect summer book to take along on a summer get a way. The thing is I couldn't wait till summer once I got this book in my grips.

A fun collection of (20) short summer fun stories on beaches from Maine to Maui. Each story just several pages long is followed by summary questions titled: Low Tide Times, to help the reader reflect about their own beach memories. The author also provides various websites for the reader to check out to bring the beach feeling home to you in case you don't get a chance to hit the beach very often.

A few of my favorite stories and titles I found cleaver were:
  • Beach Chair Therapy
  • Do Tourists Leave Their Brains at Home?
  • Goodbye Lilly
  • Swimming at Wedding Receptions
  • A New England Dock
  • That Summer Day
If you are looking for a relaxing escape from daily routines or just a calming fun read try Beach Chair Diaries, it's fewer than 200 pages but left me with a warm happy yearning for the sunny warm summer days ahead.

RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 6/15/09
Where From: My Stacks

5 comments:

  1. I am a beach babe. I moved to live nearer the sea and just can't get enought of it. I think I would enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great book to take for my upcoming beach vacation, I am glad you like it. I will have to try to get a copy before I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound great. I don't live far from the beach and I think this would be a great book to read while sitting down there enjoying the sights and sounds!! I love your header photo..is it from around your area? I just changed mine and it's a view of Lake Huron from a spot close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good one, Diane! Short stories and beaches? What more could a reader want this summer? Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books that evoke the sense of a place. This sounds great. I like the idea of including questions, as well. This is a definite possibility for the beach bag.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.